A fire in your home can be devastating, and handling fire damage and smoke damage insurance claims afterward can sometimes be just as stressful as the fire itself. When it comes to home insurance fire coverage and smoke coverage, you might have some questions about how to go about things the best way for you, including the value of a property damage attorney. At Your Insurance Attorney, we have experience with fire and smoke damage in Miami-Dade and Coconut Grove, and we can help answer some big questions you may have going into it.
Prepare for Fire and Smoke Damage Claims
There are a few things you can do after the event that can help you out with your insurance claims. First, it’s important to review your insurance plan. Reading up on the details of your policy can help you get an understanding of what you’re entitled to while also helping you look out for your insurance company trying to lowball you. Then, it’s important to take pictures of the damage and label those pictures with dates. Evidence is key in insurance claims, and photographs are one of the best forms of evidence.
Home Insurance Fire Coverage: Questions
- How long will a fire insurance claim last?
- If you’re attempting to handle your claim without professional help, it’s common that some mistakes may happen and extend the duration of a claim. With this in mind, estimate about 90 days from the date of loss, give or take. This will take less time if everything is done correctly.
- Do I have a say in how my property is restored?
- When handling property restoration, it’s important to remember that you should ultimately be in control. You’ll want to make sure you’re making decisions on things based on what you view is best, such as whether to replace items or simply clean them.
- Is it normal for an investigation to take longer than expected if my company has ruled my claim as suspicious?
- It may make you feel like a suspect more than a victim in these cases, but if the origin of the fire is unknown, an insurance company will likely want to investigate. These investigations can take weeks to even months to finish.
- How can I ensure a fair settlement for my fire claim?
- When it comes to insurance companies, you can bet they have their best interest in mind and not yours. The best chance to ensure you get a fair settlement is with the help of a fire damage adjuster who can give you a second opinion on the damage.
- What are the benefits of hiring a fire damage adjuster?
- Unless you yourself are experienced with the ins and outs of insurance policies, a fire damage adjuster will have the know-how to ensure you get the best settlement possible. Insurance companies often take advantage of their clients’ lack of legal knowledge, and an adjuster will help prevent them from doing so.
At Your Insurance Attorney, we have years of experience helping our clients with property damage claims. We understand that when your home is damaged, you need assistance making sure it gets repaired, and we know insurance companies don’t always have your best interest in mind. With every case, restoring your home for as little cost to you is our biggest priority.
Contact Us for a Property Damage Attorney
If you’re dealing with the aftermath of fire and/or smoke damage, you’ll want to seek the help of a property damage attorney ASAP. Now that you understand more about home insurance fire coverage, you understand how to better prepare yourself for approaching insurance companies, but the next step is getting legal help. Contact us for help from a fire damage adjuster in the Miami-Dade area or Coconut Grove.